Monday 31 January 2011

My version of "Keep Calm and Carry on"


I have wanted one of these lovely posters for ages, so I decided to make my own version of it.
"The poster was initially produced by the Ministry of Information in 1939 during the beginning of World War 2. It was intended to be distributed in order to strengthen morale in the event of a wartime disaster. Two-and-a-half million copies were printed, although the poster was distributed only in limited numbers. The designer of the poster is not known. The posters were designed to be a design associated with the Ministry of Information, and have a unique and recognisable lettering, with a message from the King to his people. " (From Wikipedia) Since then it has been reproduced and redesigned by many designers, in all sorts of colours and  parodies.









My favourite parody is "Keep Calm and Put the Kettle On". But as I was reading Designsponge this weekend I came over this film..."Put a Bird on it!"..and that gave me this idea. Sort of a humorus poster for designers indespair...it seems to be the solution to every problem at the moment..if you dont know what to do - put a bird on it...soo funny! I kind of makes me think twice next time I want to add a bird to an image..(there was one that sneaked in, in the illustration above..and ofcourse it had to be a part of the version below)




You can read more about the history behind these posters. "The greatest motivational poster ever?"

2 comments:

  1. I love you version of it, and also loved to know the history behind the lettering. I thought it was a modern thing with a know copyright. Now that I know it isn't... I'm gonna try creating my own version of it two! Thanks ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MaJo! Good luck and enjoy making your own version! Would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete